Pathfinder Battles: Legendary Adventures & Goblin Village

Discuss anything related to pre-painted miniatures, including news of new releases.
Rotolord
Great Old One

Pathfinder Battles: Legendary Adventures & Goblin Village

Post by Rotolord »

Ops, I did it again! I love when I am able to start a topic about a new release, makes me feel useful to the community :)

WK has updated its release schedule and it shows something odd:

08/2019 (August?) --> Legendary Adventures "Preview pack" --> seems like some new formula....
09/2019 --> Legendary Adventure 8 brick booster & GOBLIN VILLAGE case incentive (!)

mhm Goblin Village...it may be really really useful if they do it right...
berk the black
Legendary Guru

Re: Pathfinder Battles: Legendary Adventures & Goblin Village

Post by berk the black »

I have no idea what to expect from a goblin village. I think of goblins as opportunists who will use anything theynfind as a home (until they accidentally burn it down!).

Also, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, has changed with Pathfinder 2.0. I doubt that goblins will have changed at all, they are too iconic to Pathfinder’s brand.
Disclamer: I prefer black bases, and as such have painted many clear bases black. Pictures of my collection will reflect this, varying from the original way the mini was produced.
BBShockwave
Legendary Guru

Post by BBShockwave »

Huh, interesting! I am guessing maybe Legendary Adventures will be the new name of the line instead of PFB. Goblin village... Well they build haphazardly from junk, often in trees, I think this likely will include some huts, kennels, campfire, such things.
Does whatever a Spiderdragon can!
Rotolord
Great Old One

Post by Rotolord »

BBShockwave wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:54 am Huh, interesting! I am guessing maybe Legendary Adventures will be the new name of the line instead of PFB. Goblin village... Well they build haphazardly from junk, often in trees, I think this likely will include some huts, kennels, campfire, such things.
It may be, but I doubt it. It is labelled as Pathfinder Battles: Legendary Adventures. Maybe it's related to what Marco reported some days ago about a possible HUGE set?

As per the goblin village: I really doubt they will be able to pack a true "village" in a case incentive, it will probably be some parts of it like a couple huts, a totem, someting like that.
berk the black
Legendary Guru

Post by berk the black »

Yeah, it really sounds like Legendary Adventures is the set nMe, perhaps similar to Deadly Foes or other sets that aren’t actually based on a specific adventure path.

Whatever it is, I’m interested in what they come up with for a Goblin Village.
Disclamer: I prefer black bases, and as such have painted many clear bases black. Pictures of my collection will reflect this, varying from the original way the mini was produced.
craigme
Great Old One

Post by craigme »

We have some more info plus digital renders on these sets here:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/424 ... miniatures
BBShockwave
Legendary Guru

Post by BBShockwave »

And we have pictures! (EDIT: LOL you beat me by a second or so... :D)
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/424 ... miniatures
Comes out indeed 2019 August. Apparently the preview pack is similar to the heroes packs they made so far, and PFB: Legendary Adventures (so yeah that is the sub-title of the set) is the name of the set.
The preview pack includes 2 Goblins, 2 Orcs, 1 Hobgoblin, 1 Bugbear, Elf Warrior and Halfling Slinger. Costs 30$
The booster set comes out in 2019 September. And yes, you can rejoice, it will have Huge minis finally! They say "Huge or Large" so same deal as WDotMM. The bad news is, unlike WotC, Paizo did raize prices for this, boosters will cost 18$. (I assume they were 15$ before like Icons of the Realms?)
Goblin Village is the premium exclusive, for 50$.

On with the pics, and there are many!
1500x1500_80f8442cb071ba896da89b30bc51a8bb9bbf9d8e7860b0dc2a5ca8db.jpg
1500x1500_80f8442cb071ba896da89b30bc51a8bb9bbf9d8e7860b0dc2a5ca8db.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
They left Goblins mostly the same - I do think their heads are flatter, they have more prominent noses than before.
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 8.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 8.png (366.35 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 7.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 7.png (145.11 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Orcs are still green like PF Orcs were, but far bulkier, they remind me of Mage Knight Orcs. And rejoice, we got what I think is the very first female Orc mini ever. Or were there any before? I know Mage Knight had the Nal-Lhan Witch but I cannot recall any others.
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 6.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 6.png (306.29 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 5.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 5.png (161.12 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Bugbear looks much closer to the D&D design, hairy, big, ape-like with large ears. The head is certainly the same flat, wide Goblin-style head.
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 3.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 3.png (256.47 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
That Hobgoblin though... super weird. Barely much taller than a Goblin, but with a small head identical to a Goblin's, scrawny, and with white skin and a grin that would make the Joker envious? I mean, they certainly look more like they and the Goblins are related, unlike before, but the end result isn't very pleasing to me.
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 9.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 9.png (161.05 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Halfling and Elf are, OK, nothing that special. Halfling is far less chubby/jolly than I would expect, looks more like some poor guy close to a nervous breakdown who hasn't eaten in a while. :D
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 4.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 4.png (143.45 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 2.png
Screenshot_2019-02-05 ICv2 WizKids Previews 'Pathfinder 2nd Edition' Miniatures Image 2.png (126.77 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Mark Moreland
Illuminati Master

Post by Mark Moreland »

BBShockwave wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 pm The bad news is, unlike WotC, Paizo did raize prices for this, boosters will cost 18$. (I assume they were 15$ before like Icons of the Realms?)
As a point of clarification, Paizo has no say on how much our licensees charge for their products. Any and all prices in future sets of Pathfinder Battles minis are set by WizKids.

That said, I'm glad this news is finally out! We're all really excited for Huge minis (it's been a long time coming). I'm just sad that Paizo offices have been closed the last two days so there's no one there to put up a blog either showing off these (and maybe some more) minis or the next in the Ruins of Lastwall series.
berk the black
Legendary Guru

Post by berk the black »

Mark Moreland wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:33 pm
BBShockwave wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 pm The bad news is, unlike WotC, Paizo did raize prices for this, boosters will cost 18$. (I assume they were 15$ before like Icons of the Realms?)
As a point of clarification, Paizo has no say on how much our licensees charge for their products. Any and all prices in future sets of Pathfinder Battles minis are set by WizKids.
I’ll take it, as long as I can finally get one of those sweet huge Aboleths pathfinder has such fine artwork for!
Rotolord
Great Old One

Post by Rotolord »

Mark Moreland wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:33 pm

That said, I'm glad this news is finally out! We're all really excited for Huge minis (it's been a long time coming). I'm just sad that Paizo offices have been closed the last two days so there's no one there to put up a blog either showing off these (and maybe some more) minis or the next in the Ruins of Lastwall series.
It's always nice when people in the industry like you find the time to chime in and shed some light on what's behind the curtain, thanks!

That said I am happy to see Huges coming to PF, and, well, the "some more" part of your message is encouraging :roll:

I also like the concept of the "preview set" and I hope it will stick, even if I am not sure why those subject were chosen, they do not make much sense to me. I would have done either a super thematic thing or a trasversal sample of what's to come next but hey, that's just my 2 cents.
Marco
Great Old One

Post by Marco »

@BBShockwave

"D&D Icons of the Realms" set 11 "Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage" is $15.99 per booster.
"Pathfinder Battles: Kingmaker" was the same prize, as "Ruins of Lastwall" will be.

Personally i don't mind a price increase of $2 per booster IF either:

-HUGE minis are included
OR the paint quality is better again (like the older PFB sets were).

But i fear that the higher price, compared to D&D, will lead to fewer sales for PFB.

Hopefully the net gain will still be high enough to continue the line.

And please, include an ABOLETH (CR 7) as an UNCOMMON mini and i will buy a case (as will quite a few 3.5 players, i imagine)!
Kubla Kraus
Great Old One

Post by Kubla Kraus »

Great news, indeed! The reinclusion of Huge minis in a regular PFB set has been long overdue, I'm really happy they managed to make it happen. As others have said, on with the Aboleth! And yes, uncommon would be an excellent choice for rarity. If Wizkids could do it with the Froghemoth then they can do it with the Aboleth. Let's make it happen, Wizkids.

I'm actually really liking that Preview Pack too. As a DM all of those minis (minus the halfling) are super useful to me.

I hope we get a look at that Goblin Village soon, it's definitely piqued my curiosity.
BBShockwave
Legendary Guru

Post by BBShockwave »

I am not sure they can do an Aboleth. Isn't that the reason they made the Veiled Master that is not based on D&D so they have the rights to it? I mean, they also never made a Drow mini in PFB so far. Maybe they have the rights to use it in the RPG but not to make a physical product? I never understood how this works. Some creatures they can make but have to rename (cloaker=flying ray, various demons, kamadan, sahuagin, chuul, roper) others they can use the proper name for (mimic, devils, dragons, most humanoids)
Marco wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:06 pm @BBShockwave

"D&D Icons of the Realms" set 11 "Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage" is $15.99 per booster.
"Pathfinder Battles: Kingmaker" was the same prize, as "Ruins of Lastwall" will be.

Personally i don't mind a price increase of $2 per booster IF either:

-HUGE minis are included
OR the paint quality is better again (like the older PFB sets were).

But i fear that the higher price, compared to D&D, will lead to fewer sales for PFB.

Hopefully the net gain will still be high enough to continue the line.

And please, include an ABOLETH (CR 7) as an UNCOMMON mini and i will buy a case (as will quite a few 3.5 players, i imagine)!
I generally check online store prices , not listed ones. Seems the two Huge sets from Icons sell for 12$ on MM same as every other Icons set, while PFB sets are 11.5$ there per booster.
Thanks Mark for the info, I wonder why Wizkids decided to raise prices for PFB but not for Icons, weird. I assume for them manufacture costs would be the same. Maybe this means after august this year all their boosters will see a price increase?
Rotolord
Great Old One

Post by Rotolord »

Yes, it may be a general increase, not only for PFB. Even if it was PFB specific, it could just be for sets with Huges. Fine with me both ways, I do think that scale and sales are very different between DD and PFB and it may be the only profitable formula they found out.
Marco
Great Old One

Post by Marco »

@BBShockwave

All creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries can be done as PFB minis, some of them have to be renamed, because their names are copyrighted elsewhere.

They could name the minis the same as in the Bestiaries, but they would have to print the "Copyright by Wizards of the Coast" under the base of it and that would take up too much space and it would be more pricey, so they just rename them.

Creatures like Beholders, Eyes of the Deep, Mindflayers who don't show up in ANY Pathfinder Bestiary and have been invented by D&D CAN'T be produced as Pathfinder Battles minis, because they are exclusive WotC intellectual property.

So we can absolutely get an Aboleth and Drow from PFB, maybe under other names like Allghollthu and Dark Elf. ;-)

Return to “Pre-Painted Miniatures Discussions”