D&D Icons of the Realms (Set 28): Seas & Shores

Discuss anything related to pre-painted miniatures, including news of new releases.
Cusm
Honored Cultist

Re: D&D Icons of the Realms (Set 29): Seas & Shores

Post by Cusm »

Here is Deiter and the PFB next to each outher.
berk the black wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:47 pm
MyriadTabletop wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:39 pm I think a Battlemap would be a better choice for something like this :)
Yep, at that size compared to medium creatures, Zaratan is officially terrain.

And, yes, Dieter from Critical Role is on a 4” base. The mat grid is subtle, but it is there if you are looking for it:

Drizzit
Reputable Member

Post by Drizzit »

This is my choice Dragon turte from Bones4
2291DCBD-F561-409D-BBEE-1D13BBC31682.jpeg
2291DCBD-F561-409D-BBEE-1D13BBC31682.jpeg (148.16 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Attachments
97F7416A-53CE-4BC2-829B-71EEAB5AA2C5.jpeg
97F7416A-53CE-4BC2-829B-71EEAB5AA2C5.jpeg (151.29 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
117EF332-2C55-4726-B9BC-DD854039FA9C.jpeg
117EF332-2C55-4726-B9BC-DD854039FA9C.jpeg (201.06 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Mattnuke
Great Old One

Post by Mattnuke »

I guess I’m in the minority because I’m not fond of really big monsters and their really big miniatures.

For me it’s all about believability (as funny as that sounds). It’s really strange, but from the standpoint of weird powers and otherworldly, magical abilities and appearance I can suspend disbelief. That’s the magic part of a monster.

Planar monsters get a bit of a pass, but for your typical backwoods monster, I have a hard time with simple physical proportions driving the following thoughts.

1) it’s skeleton can’t support it
2) it can’t possibly find enough food without destroying the entire environment it lives
3) my characters can’t fight it, because even with a magic weapon they can’t stab/slash/crush it deep enough to get to any vital organ.

I typically stick to huge or smaller monsters because of this. Some few are bigger, but typically they are unique, world level threats like the tarresque is in vanilla D&D.
Warden of the Unreleased Renders
arbados
Great Old One

Post by arbados »

Drizzit wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:21 pm 1) it’s skeleton can’t support it
2) it can’t possibly find enough food without destroying the entire environment it lives
3) my characters can’t fight it, because even with a magic weapon they can’t stab/slash/crush it deep enough to get to any vital organ.
Not to argue, so please understand my post is in fun but in my fantasy world cities float in the sky, dragons fly and breath fire, humans can shoot lighting from their fingers and dead can be brought back to life. I understand if you want to play to reality and that's great but to me, I love a fantasy world where things are somewhat real but when needed for fun can go beyond what we expect and know. Live the fantasy world!
Magister Arbados - the Greatest Wizard in History
Imbalance
Honored Cultist

Post by Imbalance »

When I was a kid there were often snapping turtles that would invade our pond and decimate the fish population. In one such instance, I noticed a big one on the bank one fine summer day. I made the mistake of getting between it and the water, and being a foolish pre-adolescent I challenged and fought this beast with nothing more than a short length of fiberglass rod (to this day I have no idea what it was off of). I wasn't old enough at the time to handle the rifle unsupervised, as that was the usual method of dispatching them. All I could do was try to avoid getting bit while I used the rod to leverage his shell and drive him further away from retreat. Once I felt I had him backed up and tired out enough, I ran and got a five gallon bucket, eventually loaded him into it, and then hauled ass a mile down the road on my bicycle (again, by myself) - bucket, turtle, stick and all. The neighbor lady there was fond of turtle soup, and always said if I brought her one she'd make me some. I turned down the meal, but asked if she'd save me the shell and claws, and she did.

I tell that story because, for one thing, I'm an idiot, but also because I don't get to feel like I did back then these days except when dice are involved. When I was 9, that sucker might as well have been 400 feet tall and breathing fire. In reality, he weighed just a hair over 25 pounds. I had to be quick or he'd have eaten me alive, or, at least I had already seen what their bite could do to a boot, and that resilient stick I had probably saved my fingers. Capturing the monster whole? Transporting him at personal peril? Delivering him to the quest giver for a reward and trophies? Epic.*

So, yeah, I also appreciate some grounded reality to base my make-believe challenges upon. But I also like the challenges to exceed anything I've ever personally experienced, and I like larger-than-life encounters. Applying scale to the table, you can almost see the necks of the PC minis crane to size up the enormity of the dreaded foe of myth when I plop its gargantuan effigy down on the grid. Feels epic.

I've put off getting Dieter, and have been only casually beefing up aquatic type minis, but I feel like I could go for this set on sale. Will keep an eye out for next year.

*From a child's perspective. I would consider that behavior cruel as an adult. While there is legitimate danger when it comes to wildlife, these days I'd rather let nature go about its business, and turtles are pretty cool to just watch. I've still never eaten one.
This is too expensive.
MyriadTabletop
Honored Cultist

Post by MyriadTabletop »

Imbalance wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:48 pm I've put off getting Dieter, and have been only casually beefing up aquatic type minis, but I feel like I could go for this set on sale. Will keep an eye out for next year.
Same here. I'd like one, and an Udaak as well. Waiting for a sale.
Periodically adding miniatures and terrain to my Sales thread.
Updated: June 13th - Van Richten singles, Misc Icons, and Onslaught Expansions.
Mattnuke
Great Old One

Post by Mattnuke »

arbados wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:36 pm
Drizzit wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:21 pm 1) it’s skeleton can’t support it
Not to argue, so please understand my post is in fun but in my fantasy world cities float in the sky, dragons fly and breath fire, humans can shoot lighting from their fingers and dead can be brought back to life. I understand if you want to play to reality and that's great but to me, I love a fantasy world where things are somewhat real but when needed for fun can go beyond what we expect and know. Live the fantasy world!
That’s the funny thing Arbados - those things don’t phase me at all. We have that level of weird (and more in my games).

Maybe it’s more of the juxtaposition of that fantasy with something grounded that the players can relate to. They seem to like it. Part of it is probably that we play something closest to heavily modified old school basic D&D or a blend of that with 1E. Your character sheet has some impact on your survivability, but the players ability to problem solve and use anything to their advantage is more important.

All that being said, fighting something 20-30 foot long/tall or bigger should be scary as all heck!
Warden of the Unreleased Renders
berk the black
Legendary Guru

Post by berk the black »

MyriadTabletop wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:03 am
Imbalance wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:48 pm I've put off getting Dieter, and have been only casually beefing up aquatic type minis, but I feel like I could go for this set on sale. Will keep an eye out for next year.
Same here. I'd like one, and an Udaak as well. Waiting for a sale.
I eventually got both, when the went on sale. Deiter was totally worth it. The Uddak was more an impulse buy, as there is significantly less chance he’ll actually hit the table. But I do like the mini.
Disclamer: I prefer black bases, and as such have painted many clear bases black. Pictures of my collection will reflect this, varying from the original way the mini was produced.
BBShockwave
Legendary Guru

Post by BBShockwave »

Imbalance - wow, that is quite the story! You are lucky to have escaped with all your fingers and toes intact. I assume that was an Alligator Turtle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... kin=vector
The biologist in me is kinda feeling sorry for the Turtle here, though. Are they not an endangered species, can you really just eat them? In Hungary (and most of Europe) we only have one species, the Pond Turtle, and it is quite rare and severely endangered - you'd get a huge fine for even capturing one. (I am not counting the Greek and Moorish Tortoises, they have been brought into the country by careless pet owners, and some manage to survive the winters here and there).
I had my experience with an Alligator Snapping Turtle too, btw. As a student I worked at the Budapest Zoo during summers - for free, it was an experience to be able to see the animals from the backstage - and being the cold-hearted Yuan-Ti sympathizer I am, I chose to work at the reptile/amphibian/fish exhibits. On one occasion, we had to clean the Snapping Turtle's basin, and I was given the task of holding it. The zookeeper told me they cannot turn their head back more than 90 degrees to the side - and not much upward - due to the shell, so I had to grab it at the sides of the shell, surprising it from behind. It was almost as wide as I am, and super heavy, so imaging having to hold a wildly snapping heavy Turtle for minutes while it also hectically wiggled its clawed feet at me, while my boss cleaned the basin. Then had to put it back and get my hands out fast enough... luckily the basin was too narrow for it to turn around fast. :D
Mattnuke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:14 pm I guess I’m in the minority because I’m not fond of really big monsters and their really big miniatures.

For me it’s all about believability (as funny as that sounds). It’s really strange, but from the standpoint of weird powers and otherworldly, magical abilities and appearance I can suspend disbelief. That’s the magic part of a monster.

Planar monsters get a bit of a pass, but for your typical backwoods monster, I have a hard time with simple physical proportions driving the following thoughts.

1) it’s skeleton can’t support it

I typically stick to huge or smaller monsters because of this. Some few are bigger, but typically they are unique, world level threats like the tarresque is in vanilla D&D.
But... but... it is MAGIC! :P
Anyway, we do live on a planet where Sauropods existed that'd dwarf many D&D Dragons, and they did manage to find enough food. And in water, creatures can grow even larger that on land, btw.
Also a Dragon Turtle is basically like fantasy version of a Sperm Whale. It is a giant carnivore that mostly feeds on Giant Squids and the occasional Kraken. Except Sperm Whales do not extort treasure from ships passing through their territory and breath scalding steam. :P
Does whatever a Spiderdragon can!
ad_hoc
Honored Cultist

Post by ad_hoc »

401 Games is down to 2 bricks.

They didn't even post a case to sell.

They're really not stocking much in the way of minis anymore. Just not taking the risk.

If there is anything you want from them pre-ordering seems the way to go.
Yack
Great Old One

Post by Yack »

Yup I seeing that now after the copper dragon they really are not holding stock outside of pre-order or what is left from the pre-order. Thanks for the heads up for Meeplemart
Been collecting since Harbringer. 3.5 Drunken DM who enjoys gaming, painting and Dwarven Forge terrain. Remember to Shout at the Devil and Up the Irons! ||m||
Kromatic
Respected Member

Post by Kromatic »

Glad to see dragon turtles be in the set. Not a fan of them but happy for those that want em.

Me as the dragon fanatic I am, however, would want to see coastal based dragons like Topaz and Bronze wyrmlings and young life stages.
Yellows would fit to! But yeah hah THAT I can keep dreaming about
More likely Amethyst, Green, Black and even Blue wyrmlings/ youngs could fit. But the the three latter have been appearing in enough sets and nolzurs.
So my vote goes to Topaz and Amethyst since they ONLY were in promos for Fizbans Treasury of Dragons and then ONLY in the US. So we outside the US are out of luck, heck I couldnt get 3 of my favorite big online retailers here in Norway to import the Fizbans Collectors set. 799$ is a ton of money and import cost? make that 900$ at least!

Now is the chance Wizkids can re-add Topaz and Amethyst wyrmling and even young versions for this set. Being water, coast based and all.

Also gonna homebrew a coastal dispute adventure between a Bronze, Topaz and Yellow dragon battling for overlapping coastal territiories and we as adventurers can choose to pick one, two sides and get rid of the remaining dragon (s).
Or... figure out a common ground, benefical deal between all the three dragons even though their alignments are all over the place..
MyriadTabletop
Honored Cultist

Post by MyriadTabletop »

Do we know anything about Set 28? Is this still confirmed to be Set 29?
Kikoli
Honored Cultist

Post by Kikoli »

MyriadTabletop wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:55 am Do we know anything about Set 28? Is this still confirmed to be Set 29?
We're theorizing that set 28 is likely to be based on the Phandelver campaign.
Claugiyliamatar: "Ah, but yes little heroes, if I wanted you dead, I'd be chewing on you right now. Now play nice, listen closely and I might even help you 'save the world' from the giant menace..."
MyriadTabletop
Honored Cultist

Post by MyriadTabletop »

Kikoli wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:14 pm
MyriadTabletop wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:55 am Do we know anything about Set 28? Is this still confirmed to be Set 29?
We're theorizing that set 28 is likely to be based on the Phandelver campaign.
Riiiight. Thanks. But, do we have time for that?

August - Set 27: Bigby
September - Set 29: Sea & Shores

Return to “Pre-Painted Miniatures Discussions”