Critical Role - Exandria Unlimited: Calamity Boxed Set

Discuss anything related to pre-painted miniatures, including news of new releases.
Kualan
Honored Cultist

Critical Role - Exandria Unlimited: Calamity Boxed Set

Post by Kualan »

Another CR set announced on the Wizkids Twitter today:

https://shop.wizkids.com/products/Criti ... -Boxed-Set

RRP: $49.99
Expected Release Date: Q1 2024

"Critical Role has partnered with WizKids to create high-quality figures that are compatible with the most popular tabletop RPGs. Harken back to the final moments of the Age of Arcanum, in which the flying city of Avalir was set upon the flight path to ruin and all of Exandria was placed upon the precipice of Calamity! As the newest entry into the Critical Role-inspired line, the Critical Role Exandria Unlimited - Calamity Boxed Set offers high-quality painted versions of the Ring of Brass, heroes of Avalir, and unsuspecting pawns of the apocalypse, decked out in their iconic gear.

Relive the Ring of Brass's final struggles to avert Calamity! From their investigation into the ritual of Vespin Chloras, to confronting the corruption of Avalir, to battling for the very fate of an age in the face of a series of impossible choices.

Whether reliving the final moments of the Age of Arcanum or bringing some familiar NPCs to your Exandria campaign, this set has everything you need to bring the world of Critical Role to your table.

This set includes:

Cerrit Agrupnin
Laerryn Coramar-Seelie
Loquatius Seelie
Nydas Okiro
Patia Por'co
Zerxus Ilerez
"

With this set and the recent announcement of the Darrington Brigade, I believe that accounts for all the main CR canon player parties?
Current PPM wishlist: Barlgura, Bronze Scout, Cultist/Cult Fanatic, Gnoll Witherling, Hezrou, Nonaton, Rug of Smothering, Stone Defender,
bvelcoff
Great Old One

Re: Critical Role - Exandria Unlimited: Calamity Boxed Set

Post by bvelcoff »

Other people's player characters? No thanks. I wish I could get prepainted minis of the PCs in my game...
deadsmurf
Great Old One

Post by deadsmurf »

Like the look of a few of these minis

Loquatius Seelie - A Well dressed changeling spellcaster. Absolutely.
Laerryn Coramar-Seelie - An Elf with a Big Wrench? Sure I like a good artificer stand-in
Cerrit Agrupnin - Aarkocra with a couple of Axes? Definitely a niche of characters I don't currently have.

Patia Por'co - just as a interesting elf character, and I don't think I have any female elves using orbs as an arcane focus. Not 100% on getting her - will likely depend on

The other two aren't anything I really need another heavily armored paladin with a sword, or a dude with a scimitar, but they look pretty good sculpts, and I could see them being used as a PC at some point.

So right now I'll likely just get the first three as singles, but if the paint jobs seem better than average, I'll grab the whole box.
My Eberron Archaeologist Youtube Channel:
Kualan
Honored Cultist

Post by Kualan »

I haven't seen the series this group is from, but I do like the CR line in general for offering us excellent NPC minis (and player minis, often by combining non-typical race/class pairings).

I dig the look of the half-Sinbad, half-Jack Sparrow pirate looking guy, the elven (?) spellcaster and the aarakocra.
Current PPM wishlist: Barlgura, Bronze Scout, Cultist/Cult Fanatic, Gnoll Witherling, Hezrou, Nonaton, Rug of Smothering, Stone Defender,
MyriadTabletop
Honored Cultist

Post by MyriadTabletop »

bvelcoff wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:55 pm Other people's player characters? No thanks. I wish I could get prepainted minis of the PCs in my game...
I'm of a mixed opinion. If I look at a miniature and struggle with separating an existing portrayed character from the sculpt it does make things hard for me as a DM to repurpose a miniature.

It's why I couldn't use a Jester (Critical Role) miniature. However, I have no problem using a Veth, Otis, or Avantika miniature. Some are generic enough that I'm content using them in other ways.

For this set, some look like obvious Player Characters. Hyperspecific, and almost busy, like the new Pathfinder series. Wrench girl and gold suit guy are too specific for me. But the rest are totally acceptable for random NPCs. Then again, I don't know who these people are, so I'm not influenced yet.

The Death Saves miniatures have the same issue. Some are too unique and obvious PC figures that I don't want to use as NPCs, while others are great to design a character around. But again, I don't have a persona in my head with those guys either.
Last edited by MyriadTabletop on Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Periodically adding miniatures and terrain to my Sales thread.
Updated: June 13th - Van Richten singles, Misc Icons, and Onslaught Expansions.
Mattnuke
Great Old One

Post by Mattnuke »

I like the Aarokocra! The elf in yellow is pretty cool too, but I don’t like the wrench.
Warden of the Unreleased Renders
Kor
Keeper of the Scrolls

Post by Kor »

vfults
Great Old One

Post by vfults »

I definitely want Zerxus and Nydas. Patia would be nice if not for the weird hair-do. The wrench and too-modern garb ruins the elf while Loquatius looks like he's from The Hunger Games. The Aarokokra is nice enough but I have no use for it.
"I'd like to help you with your quest problem, son, but I've got 99 problems and a lich ain't one."
Guyra
Legendary Guru

Post by Guyra »

Definitely wouldn't mind having a couple of these. The Aarakocra and the guy in red are the most interesting looking to me.

Haven't really been following CR for a while now, so I don't recognize the characters.
bvelcoff wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:55 pm I wish I could get prepainted minis of the PCs in my game...
I mean, you can. It'll just you an arm and a leg. ;)
HeroForge can print in colour($45 per mini), and otherwise there's always the option to get people to sculpt, print, and paint on commission.
Mattnuke
Great Old One

Post by Mattnuke »

Guyra wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:28 am
bvelcoff wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:55 pm I wish I could get prepainted minis of the PCs in my game...
HeroForge can print in colour($45 per mini), and otherwise there's always the option to get people to sculpt, print, and paint on commission.
Last time I checked, a master sculpt from most decent sculptors is around $120-150, if not more!
Warden of the Unreleased Renders
BBShockwave
Legendary Guru

Post by BBShockwave »

They sure are churning out these CR mini sets so quickly. Not knowing anything about the characters, I have no trouble separating the character from the mini, heh.
There are some of these that just look so out of place in a classic sword and sorcery world - the lady with the giant monkey wrench honestly looks like a more realistic depiction of Sprocket from Skylanders. Which works in that world which is full of robots and technology but looks out of place for me.
Sprocket_Promo.jpg
Sprocket_Promo.jpg (186.6 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Same goes for the talk show host Elf with the golden suit and microphone. Like, what the hell??? In a world where there are spells to make speech more audible?

That said, some of these look nice. The Aarakocra is a must, the arabian-looking swordsman is great, and the Elf diva works well as a diviner mage and the paladin is great. But truth be told, at this point I have enough Human and Elf minis, so they are of secondary interest to the bird dude.
Does whatever a Spiderdragon can!
berk the black
Legendary Guru

Post by berk the black »

I’ve pretty much ignored the characters from CR, they do seem out of place with their clothing and gear, or in some cases just the way the race looks. But I have picked up several creatures, Dieter probably being the best one.,
Disclamer: I prefer black bases, and as such have painted many clear bases black. Pictures of my collection will reflect this, varying from the original way the mini was produced.
Guyra
Legendary Guru

Post by Guyra »

Mattnuke wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:48 am
Guyra wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:28 am
Last time I checked, a master sculpt from most decent sculptors is around $120-150, if not more!
Yeah, that sounds about right. And I bet at those prices, it's a low hourly wage. ;)
romuloxx
Legendary Member

Post by romuloxx »

Not that it matters, but I see people asking why some minis looks so out of place and modern. These characters come from a time known as the Age of Arcanum. This was the peak of arcane innovation and technology within this world. Magic was infused within all technology to enhance it. Living on flying cities, harnessing magical essence as energy etc. If it helps, everyone was a bit “extra” in this time with style of dress and the like. They considered themselves better than everyone and especially better than the cities stuck on the ground.

Laerryn was the chief arcanist engineer which explains the wrench. Loquatius was the herald/journalist of the city. His broadcasts would magically be played across the flying city of Avalir which explains the mic.

My real question is why we didn’t get a Brennan Lee Mulligan mini in this set?
English Wizard
Great Old One

Post by English Wizard »

So the gold suit wearing presenter figure should have looked like this...

Attachments
Ruby Rhod.jpg
Ruby Rhod.jpg (249.09 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

Return to “Pre-Painted Miniatures Discussions”