Mage Knight gallery

Discuss anything related to pre-painted miniatures, including news of new releases.
ad_hoc
Honored Cultist

Re: Mage Knight gallery

Post by ad_hoc »

bshugg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:44 pm
Imbalance wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:42 pm I'm tempted to start supergluing rare D&D minis to spare combat dials out of spite. :twisted:
I have a bag of about 1200 MK bases if you want them!
But why?!
berk the black
Legendary Guru

Post by berk the black »

Why, for Frankenminis of course!
Disclamer: I prefer black bases, and as such have painted many clear bases black. Pictures of my collection will reflect this, varying from the original way the mini was produced.
jaredh
Honored Cultist

Post by jaredh »

One day, Mage Knight might make a comeback.

On that day, those of us with bags of glorious no-mini bases can happily glue whatever we want onto them and pass them off as "Ultra-Rare" Mage Knight minis from days gone by....because nobody has a gallery to prove otherwise.....

:lol:
Imbalance
Honored Cultist

Post by Imbalance »

jaredh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:49 pm One day, Mage Knight might make a comeback.

On that day, those of us with bags of glorious no-mini bases can happily glue whatever we want onto them and pass them off as "Ultra-Rare" Mage Knight minis from days gone by....because nobody has a gallery to prove otherwise.....

The absence of an online gallery is not the same as a lack of proof. What it actually means is that my unbutchered collection will become incredibly valuable to the right collector. I'll be sure to post pics of my new Ferrari on that day. :mrgreen:
This is too expensive.
bshugg
Great Old One

Post by bshugg »

Mage knight players in the MK groups react in horror when bases are scrapped. I have a huge MK collection untouched and I look at it as a positive. There are way too many MK figs for demand. The more that get hacked up the smaller the supply becomes and the more my originals are worth. If everyone just kept them carefully wrapped in climate controlled bins they they are like later series beanie babies... completely worthless.
Check out my BUY LIST in the Selling group!
arbados
Great Old One

Post by arbados »

bshugg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:25 pm Mage knight players in the MK groups react in horror when bases are scrapped.
I've hacked up many hundreds of Mage Knight figures. However, when I did this, I had no idea they were worth anything as I got them for pennies on the dollar. This was when Pathfinder and WotC were not making minis, so I searched out alternate sources and rebased them all. That was a fun time to be honest and I really enjoy the Mage Knight minis.
:o
I do feel like a criminal now:? Picture of some Mage Knight mini bases as I ripped the mini apart! :o
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4044.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4044.jpg (104.11 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Magister Arbados - the Greatest Wizard in History
English Wizard
Great Old One

Post by English Wizard »

You guys know that Imbalance has a ‘very specific skill set’ right?
Imbalance
Honored Cultist

Post by Imbalance »

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for miniatures I can tell you to save your money. If you leave Mage Knight alone that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will shame you on the Internets. :mrgreen:
This is too expensive.
Mattnuke
Great Old One

Post by Mattnuke »

Imbalance wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:42 pm I'm tempted to start supergluing rare D&D minis to spare combat dials out of spite. :twisted:
I am 100% behind this. Do what makes you happy!

And for the record, again, yes I hack up both. You guys would probably freak out to know that I have a bunch of Lords of Madness minis that are primed, but not yet painted after all these years.
Warden of the Unreleased Renders
Infernalslayer
Great Old One

Post by Infernalslayer »

Mattnuke wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:50 am And for the record, again, yes I hack up both. You guys would probably freak out to know that I have a bunch of Lords of Madness minis that are primed, but not yet painted after all these years.
I can see why you would repaint Lords of Madness. Most miniatures were slapped with 3 colors and put in the boxes for sale. The Nalfeshnee Tyrant is practically unpainted.

I was considering repainting the goofy Yeenoghu from that set. I had only painted his eyes red back when i got him to reduce some of the goofiness but i think he could do with some more paints on his fur and armor.
BBShockwave
Legendary Guru

Post by BBShockwave »

Arbados you are very brave for posting that. Do expect a call from lawyers for crimes against miniatures... ;)
Imbalance wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:29 am I can hear you! :x

As someone still casually hunting the Sorcery set Ultra Rares, these auctions catch my eye yet exceed my reach. Vorgoth remains a minor grail. He's no more rare than the other three, but his in-game power levels elevated his price.

For lore, there wasn't much, contrary to what there was in the early days of the MK run. The lore became convoluted around the Sorcery and Omens sets, I think, because they were working with video game developers at the time and sort of tying it all together, or not. These characters were Mage Spawn, but also members of a sub-faction called The Order of the Ninth Circle, and had something to do with the prophecy about the Apocalypse Dragon. Vorgoth appears in Destiny's Soldier on Nintendo DS with zero story - he just shows up as a warrior you can recruit and is the most obvious barbarian tank, just like his tabletop version. He is apparently of a race called the Drakona, an ancient predecessor of the modern Draconum (neither of which to be confused with Draconians).
Gaunt and Malava, if I ever did know anything about them, I've long forgotten. I really seem to think they had next to zero lore info, though.
The Black Knight, though, is an interesting case. There was just as little about him at the time, a dragon hunter, iirc, and there was something about his sword, but it's more likely he's an Easter egg to accompany the previous year's convention exclusive cards, Stick Horse and Coconut Halves, in a nod to Monty Python.

That's from my addled memory, so take with salt. MK's lore is more rich and developed than I make it sound, but for these chase figures it was uncharacteristically lacking.
I have not set a search for Vorgoth since I have him, did not know he was worth so much more due to stats! Interesting!
Wait, there was a Nintendo DS game??? I only knew about MK Apocalypse - I actually finished that game. Gotta check the other game than, thanks!
Oh cool so he is a Drakona - I have that cool looking Dracona Myrmidon and Dracona Priestess, I guess that's why the Myrmidons have blue/purple skin like him too. I assumed they were some offshoot of the Draconum, so they are their ancestors? I assume they are also evil, then?
LOL they made a Monty Python reference, that joke kinda wrote itself, nice.
I feel the Sorcery ultra-rares are a lot better looking minis than the Omens ones. And then of course there are the Dark Riders ones too. I only own War so far, traded it for a Jetfire Transformers figure, a good deal.
bshugg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:48 pm
Yack wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:36 am
Guyra wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:18 am
Imbalance wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:29 am I can hear you! :x
LOL

I believe I have been ripped apart a few times for rebasing MK and Heroclixs
We love ya Imbalance :P
I have 400+ MK Draconum whelps, Whelp monks and whelp alchemists on their way to my house this week. None will survive with bases intact. :twisted: I can struggle to sell them at $1 each or so as mage knight. Instead my daughters get $4 each for them to fund their summer trips and activities.
Strange, I thought Draconum were the few MK minis still worth something these days. I mean the Whelps and Monks are Commons but they were still more sought after than say, the Elves or Vampires which often had rather ugly faces.
jaredh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:49 pm One day, Mage Knight might make a comeback.

See this is why we really need to put together a gallery here on Minisgallery. 8-)
Unlike Imbalance I do not collect all MK minis - just the cool looking ones - but I do have a sizeable collection so I can take photos if needed.
Does whatever a Spiderdragon can!
Guyra
Legendary Guru

Post by Guyra »

It would certainly be nice to have a MK gallery here, for sure. :)
bshugg
Great Old One

Post by bshugg »

Guyra wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:02 pm It would certainly be nice to have a MK gallery here, for sure. :)
I would like a good searchable Heroclix gallery with lots of photo thumbnails. I love getting cheap heroclix and turning them into soldiers or thugs or scientists for sci-fi or modern games so would love to know if I have them all. Lately I've been getting some from things like Thor Ragnarok or the LotR franchise to use for D&D. Once you collect everything in the regular lines you still want to be on the hunt!
Imbalance
Honored Cultist

Post by Imbalance »

bshugg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:15 pm
Guyra wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:02 pm It would certainly be nice to have a MK gallery here, for sure. :)
I would like a good searchable Heroclix gallery with lots of photo thumbnails. I love getting cheap heroclix and turning them into soldiers or thugs or scientists for sci-fi or modern games so would love to know if I have them all. Lately I've been getting some from things like Thor Ragnarok or the LotR franchise to use for D&D. Once you collect everything in the regular lines you still want to be on the hunt!
I could've sworn I remembered your name from MK/HCRealms. How'd you miss the Units section?
This is too expensive.
bshugg
Great Old One

Post by bshugg »

Imbalance wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:50 pm
bshugg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:15 pm
I could've sworn I remembered your name from MK/HCRealms. How'd you miss the Units section?
I only go there for the MK page. its all I had bookmarked. Didn't know there was a units section.

Return to “Pre-Painted Miniatures Discussions”